Author: Ashley Benedict
Spring break is here, and most of us will be traveling, volunteering, working, or watching Netflix for the week. (And trying to catch up on school work, though we’ll likely procrastinate on that).
What else can you do, if you find the time? Well, you can submit to Feminist Voices!
Unfortunately, as the intern for this blog, I will not be able to actively check the e-mail for most of Spring Break (though I do have posts scheduled for the week) but I’m hoping that some of you will take this week off as an opportunity to submit some work for me to come back to!
For those who aren’t sure what to write about, here are some recent issues you can build ideas from:
- Recent anti-semitism and anti-muslim hate crimes throughout the country
- Immigration reform
- Transgender rights
- Clean energy and cutting funds to the EPA
- HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities)
- “Religious freedom” to discriminate
The Women’s Center accepts all kinds of submissions, including, but not limited to:
- Persuasive essays or personal stories
- Creative writing, e.g., poetry, flash fiction, short stories, etc.
- Book/movie reviews – anything that critically examines current events or media sources and their impact on social justice issues
- Photography (along with a brief description of how the photograph relates to a specific topic)
- Audio/visual, e.g., songs, skits, commentary videos, etc. (Note: for those interested in submitting audio or video pieces, please visit our FAQs page).
- Art pieces that make a statement
- Satirical comics or comics that address feminist myths, current social issues, etc.
- Ideas for our Question of the Day polls
Check out our Get Involved page to find out more! We at the Women’s Center encourage submissions from anyone who wishes to share their opinions and let their voice be heard. You can also draw ideas for posts from our theme of the month!
The theme of the month for March is:
Take this break to think about how you can contribute and what issues you are passionate about. Your voice matters! Contact us through the contact page or send in submissions or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope everyone has a relaxing break!